tasnewslafm header 2019

Coronavirus 628x90

Carbon monoxide poisoning

An outdoor charcoal grill used indoors in South Hobart was behind the hospitalisation of 11 people with carbon monoxide poisoning in the early hours of this morning (Tuesday).

A few hours ago, two adults and five kids were listed as in a serious condition.

Carbon monoxide at the Hillborough Street home was measured at four to five times higher than a safe level.

Director of Public Health Mark Veitch has described how it poses a grave threat.

"It can cause brain damage to people who have survived carbon monoxide, starving that sensitive organ of oxygen, but the principle risk is people essentially going to sleep from a lack of oxygen and dying."

Health Minister Sarah Courtney extended her best wishes to the family.

"The health professionals at the hospital (RHH) are obviously caring for them and the Department of Communities is also working with the family to provide appropriate support in this difficult time for them."