tasnewslafm header 2019

No suspicious activity in One Nation ute fire


Authorities say the fire that destroyed a One Nation campaign vehicle in the Shoreline Shopping Centre car park at the weekend was most likely caused by an ember from a discarded cigarette.

Police and the Tasmania Fire Service rushed to Howrah's Shoreline Shopping Centre on Hobart's Eastern Shore on Sunday evening after reports a ute had gone up in flames in the carpark.

Investigators have this morning said there is no evidence a crime has been committed.

The Tasmania Fire Service says this determination is based on there being no evidence of a deliberate ignition source, or any fault with the vehicle, in addition to CCTV footage not showing anyone at the back of the vehicle at the time.

That is despite police initially deeming the blaze suspicious, as well as a social media comment from Senator Pauline Hanson on the night in question saying someone was seen torching it before fleeing.

Police have thanked members of the public who gave witness statements.