Dreamworld to reopen for school holidays

(AAP Image/Dan Peled)

Dreamworld will reopen on Saturday, December 10 with a charity weekend to raise funds for the families of the four victims from October's fatal accident at the Gold Coast theme park.

The park's parent company Ardent Leisure confirmed the re-opening date to the Australian Stock Exchange on Wednesday.

It will be six weeks since Kate Goodchild, Luke Dorsett, Roozi Araghi and Cindy Low were killed following a malfunction of the Thunder River Rapids ride on October 25.

Ardent says Dreamworld and neighbouring theme park Whitewater World will reopen to guests after the successful completion of a mechanical and operational safety review.

Over the weekend, Dreamworld will donate $25 for every guest and passholder through the door to the Australian Red Cross.

Funds raised will then be distributed to the families and those most affected by the tragedy, the park says.

The Dreamworld attractions re-opening on December 10 include all WhiteWater World slides and pools along with the park's wildlife areas, entertainment and family attractions in DreamWorks Experience, Wiggles World, ABC Kids World and the Motorsports Experience.

Dreamworld CEO Craig Davidson said every attraction that would re-open had passed a four-tier safety review including a Queensland Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) audit.

"Every ride and slide open on 10th December will have passed this rigorously conducted, multi-level safety review," Mr Davidson said.

Other rides will progressively open at Dreamworld as they are signed off by the safety review process, the park said.

WHS issued the park with seven improvement notices following their audit, but Mr Davidson said all of those notices have now been lifted by the authority.

Ardent has already announced that the Thunder River Rapids ride will be demolished.

Dreamworld's re-opening coincides with the start of summer school holidays in Queensland, with the park admitting the closure had cost it millions of dollars.

The park generated $7.6 million in revenue in November last year.

As well as that lost revenue, the park has incurred operating costs of up to $4.2 million for the month while one-off costs associated with the tragedy are expected to tally about $1.6 million.

A coroner's investigation into the accident is ongoing, although on-site investigations have been completed.

© AAP 2016

You may also like...

Baskerville Historics set to impress all motor racing enthusiasts

Baskerville Historics set to impress all motor racing enthusiasts

Bakerville Historics, a massive three-day event, kicks off tomorrow at Baskerville Raceway. Joining Fairsy this morning for his Big Breakfast,...

John Calvin School Fair

John Calvin School Fair

John Calvin School FairWhere: 53 Howick street, right by the Launceston General HospitalWhen: Saturday, 21st October from 10:00am – 2:00pmDetails...

Security review at Prince George's school

Security review at Prince George's school

File photo dated 07/09/17 of Prince George holding hands with the Duke of Cambridge and Helen Haslem, head of the lower school, at Thomas's...

Fire blazes through Sydney national park

Fire blazes through Sydney national park

More than a dozen fire crews and two water bombing helicopters are battling a blaze in Sydney's Lane Cove National Park. A NSW Fire & Rescue...